Attention To Detail Regarding Accountings Of Estates

One step in a will dispute contest or during the removal of a fiduciary from an estate or trust is to compel an accounting of the estate or trust. While it is possible to make this request on your own, it may be very difficult to interpret the documents you receive. It will also be hard to determine the next steps you need to take.

In most cases, it is best to work with a probate lawyer. I am attorney Albert F. Pennisi, and I have helped hundreds of people with probate litigation concerns throughout my career. If you need an accounting of an estate, I can file a petition on your behalf and review the findings with you. With my help, you can take action, including having the fiduciary removed from the estate or trust.

Requesting And Reviewing Contested Accountings

Fiduciaries of estates can be executors or administrators; trustees are fiduciaries of trusts. When a beneficiary, creditor or other relevant party is unhappy with a fiduciary's performance, he or she may request an accounting of the estate or trust. The accounting will show how the assets have been managed, what has been spent and which assets remain.

After examining the accounting, I will discuss the next steps with you. If you choose to move forward with the case, I will take depositions of the fiduciary to prepare our argument. The case may be settled via negotiation or by going to trial. I have decades of experience as a trial lawyer in Surrogate's Court. Many cases, however, are resolved out of court. I will explain which option may be better in your case.

Set Up An Appointment With Me To Get Started

To schedule a free, 30-minute consultation, please call me at 718-509-6344. You may also contact me online. I have law offices in Queens County and Nassau County.